Problem Words XXX_X

Problem Words XXX_X

This is the 4th installment for 4 🟩 words with possibilities.

For this round, I am looking at the situation 3 🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩. Let me start with a caveat, most of the words in the table below are excluded from the solution list. Now if you are playing Dordle or Quordle, then the solution list may be different.

I made the words ending in "S" italicized. This is because they were excluded. There are less than 40 total words ending with "S" in the New York Times, Wordle, WordPlay solution lists.

Now the words GOO-Y and BOO-Y each have a few of the words included as a possible solution. Avoiding these situations, especially in hard mode, is the best strategy.

Uncovering this problem late in the game may leave few options. I have added a few game examples below to show what options are left to win.

Some of the worst situations I could find with words in the solution list are:

STA-E: With words STADE, STAGE, STAKE, STALE, STANE, STARE, STATE, STAVE
CRA-E: With words CRAKE, CRAME, CRANE, CRAPE, CRARE, CRATE, CRAVE, CRAZE
SHA-E: With words SHADE, SHAKE, SHALE, SHAME, SHAPE, SHARE, SHAVE
GRA-E: With words GRACE, GRADE, GRAME, GRAPE, GRATE, GRAVE, GRAZE
SPI-E: With words SPICE, SPIDE, SPIKE, SPILE, SPINE, SPIRE, SPITE
STO-E: With words STOAE, STOKE, STOLE, STONE, STOPE, STORE, STOVE
PRO-E: With words PROBE, PROKE, PROLE, PRONE, PRORE, PROSE, PROVE

Many of the words for GOO-Y and BOO-Y are not included a possible solutions.

Only BOOBY, BOOTY, BOOZY, GOODY, GOOEY, and GOOFY were included.

Here again, the left side assumes hard mode. This means you have no option but to guess. When down to 2-3 guesses with 5+ options, it is best to go with the more common words. Try not to guess the more obscure guesses.

On the right-side, I utilize the punt strategy in easy mode. You can see that the letters used in the punt word tries to eliminate 3-5 guesses. This will narrow down the remaining options, or reveal the answer.

Some people think that knowing the solution list is cheating. This list was created by a human and is only supposed to included more known words. I don't think it is cheating. You have to know the rules to play the game.

For the solution GRAZE, the 🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩 situation was uncovered in the 4th round with the guess GRADE. All of the guesses meet the requirements of hard mode. For all the examples I started with STORY, which is a top 10% word.

On the left, you have 2 guesses remaining. There are 3 option left, GRAME, GRAPE and GRAZE. The most common words are probably GRAPE and GRAZE. Guessing GRAME may not be the best option. On the right, guessing TRUMP for the 5th word will win the game in easy mode. Either the "M" with be 🟩, the "P" will be 🟨, or they will both be ⬛. With both ⬛, the remaining option is GRAZE.

For the next example below, I use the solution STAVE. The  🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩 are discovered again in the 4th round with the word STADE.

The left side tries common words STAGE and the double-letter STATE. There are 4 options remaining, STAGE, STALE, STATE and STAVE. To guarantee a win, you will need to include 3 out of 4 letters in the punt word.

The double letter is the hardest to punt, since the "T" will need to be in the 4th position for the punt word. If the "T" is used it must be in the 4th spot. It was easiest to think of GLOVE which included the "G", "L", and "V". Again, if the "G" or "L" is 🟨, the "V" is 🟩. Then you know the answer. If all 3 letters are ⬛, then the solution is the only guess remaining STATE.

Here is the example for BOOBY, your punt word cannot eliminate all the possibilities.

BOOAY, BOOBY, BOODY, BOOFY, BOOMY, BOOZY remain. Chance of winning in hard mode with 2 guesses is 2/6 or 33%. Chance of winning with a punt of ZOMBI is 4/6 or 67%. Since BOOBY is a double letter, you need to have the "B" in the 4th spot. ZOMBI checks BOOBY, BOOMY and BOOZY which are 3 guesses. If this misses, then you can check a 4th possibility of BOOAY, BOODY or BOOFY.

Send your word game screenshot to wordnerdle@gmail.com